Oct 24 2023 From Thought to Action: Chapter 27
Want to get this sent to your email every week? Sign up here!
Before we begin, remember…making disciples can be as easy as reading a chapter of The Four Priorities and discussing it with someone else. This blog series is designed to supplement your journey. Feel free to take what you need and leave the rest! And remember, please share this post with your disciple so they can subscribe, too!
KEY QUOTES from Chapter 27: Caring For Those Who Hurt
The ABC’s of being a caregiver:
- Be aware.
- Create a list.
- Don’t be too hardon yourself.
- Excuse those who don’t appreciate.
- Find time.
- Have a sense of your own well-being. (p. 256)
Jesus puts the hurts and needs of others ahead of His own, and He calls us to do the same. He commissioned His followers to be His hands and feet and arms and heart until His inevitable return. We are the means by which He reaches out to touch, carry, hold, help, comfort, and love.
- Which of the ABC’s of being a caregiver is the hardest for you? Choose one of them to practice this week intentionally.
- Read Matthew 25:32-43 which describes the Lord’s expectations of His followers. What do you notice feeling about this? What questions arise for you? How can you respond to what you notice being brought up in you through this?
PRAY: We have a tendency to overcomplicate things – especially our prayers! One way to simplify your prayer life is to pick two phrases or truths from scripture and attach them to your breath pattern. As you inhale, internally say the 1st phrase. As you exhale, say the 2nd phrase. This prayer is from Psalm 40:17,
INHALE: I am poor and needy
EXHALE: But the Lord takes thought for me
INHALE: You are my help and my deliverer
EXHALE: Do not delay, O my God!
MEMORIZE: Take this week to memorize Colossians 3:23-24 with your household. Write it on a sticky note to place on your car dashboard, your bathroom mirror, or wherever you will view it often.
Mark 10:45 “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
WORSHIP: Listen to this song called Even When It Hurts by Hillsong Worship.
What did you do to serve others this week?
Find a way to serve your community or church or others together as a family this week!
- Regarding James 1:19-27, how does the Word of God work in your life?
- Do you have control over your tongue?
- Do you have a concern for people in need?
- Do you visit orphans and widows – not as a social call, but in service? It is proof positive that the Word is alive in you if you give of yourself knowing that you can’t get anything in return.
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
- God comforts or “comes alongside us” through all the things we go through to encourage us. He does this not only for our benefit, but so that we can “come alongside” someone else and share His comfort and encouragement with them.
That’s it for Chapter 27!
Now…go! And make disciples!