Oct 24 2023 From Thought to Action: Chapter 21
Want to get this sent to your email every week? Sign up here!
Before we begin, remember…making disciples can be as easy as reading a chapter of The Four Priorities and discussing it with someone else. This blog series is designed to supplement your journey. Feel free to take what you need and leave the rest! And remember, please share this post with your disciple so they can subscribe, too!
KEY QUOTES from Chapter 21: Church – Your Body
God intends for all believers to participate in dynamic fellowship with other Christians, to join together in regular worship, ongoing service, consistent instruction, and unbroken fellowship. He wants us to become interdependent as we sort through the issues of life.
As someone once put it, “If your relationship with God doesn’t overflow into caring relationships with other Christians, you aren’t as close to God as you think you are.”
REFLECT: Do the “Take Action” section in the book on page 206-207, rating yourself on a scale of 1-10 from the descriptions of the early church in Acts 2:42-47 and 4:32-37.
PRAY: We have a tendency to overcomplicate things – especially our prayers! One way to simplify your prayer life is to pick two phrases or truths from scripture and attach them to your breath pattern. As you inhale, internally say the 1st phrase. As you exhale, say the 2nd phrase.
INHALE: When I love others well,
EXHALE: I love You well
MEMORIZE: Take this week to memorize John 13:35 with your household. Write it on a sticky note to place on your car dashboard, your bathroom mirror, or wherever you will view it often.
John 13:35 “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
WORSHIP: Listen to this song called The Cause of Christ by Kari Jobe.
What does it mean to live on mission? Talk about what missions looks like and why it matters for Christians!
Reach out to your church’s serving or missions coordinator and see what activities are available for serving as a family. Try to get something on the calendar for you and your family to serve your church or your community together! Also, please consider sponsoring a child through Compassion International.
The Importance of the Body of Christ (“The Church”)
What is this thing called the church? The Bible refers to the “church” as the body of Christ and as the family of God
- The WORLDWIDE church is everyone around the world who has a personal relationship with Jesus.
- The LOCAL church is individuals/families in your community who gather together to worship Jesus.
- Therefore, all who trust in Jesus are in the worldwide church, but not all choose to be part of a local church.
What are the marks of a committed member of the local church?
- They are committed to personal growth.
- They are committed to consistent worship.
- They value a consistent intake of teaching from the Bible.
- They band with others and care for people.
- They discover and develop their spiritual gifts to encourage and build up the church.
- They are disciple-makers.
- They are faithful stewards with their finances
- They care about others who do not know Jesus Christ.
- They are committed to finding the needs of others in the local church and filling them!
That’s it for Chapter 21!
Now…go! And make disciples!