Sep 21 2023 From Thought to Action: Chapter 1
Want to get this sent to your email every week? Sign up here!
Before we begin, remember…making disciples can be as easy as reading a chapter of The Four Priorities and discussing it with someone else. This blog series is designed to supplement your journey. Feel free to take what you need and leave the rest! And remember, please share this post with your disciple so they can subscribe, too!
KEY QUOTES from the Chapter 1: Who Is Jesus?
“Jesus is the Master of History, Quality, Distance, Time, Quantity, Nature, Circumstances, and Life and Death. He has One Unique Life, is Savior of the World, and is the Life Changer.”
A.W. Tozer once said, “What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.”
When Adam and Eve sinned, they experienced the death of four crucial relationships and all of mankind continues to experience this today. How did sin affect our relationships?
- Relationship #1: Cut off from God
- Relationship #2: Cut off from ourselves
- Relationship #3: Cut off from others
- Relationship #4: Cut off from God’s creation
REFLECT: What do you think of when you think about God? How does that change what you do today?
PRAY: We have a tendency to overcomplicate things – especially our prayers! One way to simplify your prayer life is to pick two phrases or truths from scripture and attach them to your breath pattern. As you inhale, internally say the 1st phrase. As you exhale, say the 2nd phrase.
INHALE: With all that I am
EXHALE: I love You, Lord
MEMORIZE: The verse that guides Priority One is Matthew 22:37-28. Take this week to memorize it with your household. Write it on a sticky note to place on your car dashboard, your bathroom mirror, or wherever you will view it often.
Matthew 22:37-38 “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.” This is the first and greatest commandment.
WORSHIP: Listen to this song called Behold Him by the Worship Initiative.
TABLE TALK: Next time you sit for a meal with your family, ask:
– When you think of God, what words come to mind?
– Can you draw a picture of what you think God looks like/acts like?
– Can you draw a picture of what you think God thinks about you?
TEACH: Watch this video of Why We Need Jesus. Practice drawing this out for someone else.
PLAY: Set a timer for 60 seconds and everyone write down as many words as possible to describe who God is or names of God. After the timer is finished, see how many words you had in common with the other people, or what you had different!
Let’s dig into God’s Word about His free gift of salvation to us:
- Isaiah 59:2 (Sin cuts us off from God)
- Romans 3:23 (Everyone has sinned. Yes, you too).
- Romans 6:23 (There’s a consequence for our sins. We must pay a penalty… death).
- Hebrews 9:27 (After death, comes judgment).
- Romans 8:1 (For those who have trusted Jesus Christ, there’s no condemnation).
- Romans 10:9-10 (If you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord, you’ve made the decision to trust Him).
- Ephesians 2:8-9 (You’re saved by His grace. Not by anything you did, or will do, or have done. You can’t earn salvation. It’s a free gift by Jesus. But, you have to accept it).
- John 5:24 (If you trust Jesus, you have no condemnation – but after death, you have eternal life with Him).
Discuss these questions from the video regarding Jesus Christ:
- Where do you need His touch in your life?
- Where do you need His hope?
- Where do you feel crippled in life?
- What, in your life, could you give to Jesus so that He could multiply it?
- Where do you need His grace?
- With which circumstance do you need His help?
- Have you been raised to new life in Christ?
That’s it for Chapter 1!
Now…go! And make disciples!