Oct 24 2023 From Thought to Action: Chapter 28
Want to get this sent to your email every week? Sign up here!
Before we begin, remember…making disciples can be as easy as reading a chapter of The Four Priorities and discussing it with someone else. This blog series is designed to supplement your journey. Feel free to take what you need and leave the rest! And remember, please share this post with your disciple so they can subscribe, too!
KEY QUOTES from Chapter 28: Become A Disciple Maker
- Last words are lasting words.
- God did not give you a mission without first giving you the power and authority to carry it out.
- We are fairly good at reproducing spiritual babies, but not so good at raising them!
- The truth is you are the right person for the job because Jesus never commands us to do anything that He does not equip and empower us to do.
- Jesus’ strategy for changing the planet was to pick twelve men (Mark 3:13-19), spend three years building into them, and then charge them to go out into the world and do the same.
- Who are you discipling?
- If you are not discipling anyone right now, why not? After finishing this book, you are equipped and empowered to go out and take someone else through it, just as you went through it!
- Take some time this week to pray about who you should be discipling next.
PRAY: We have a tendency to overcomplicate things – especially our prayers! One way to simplify your prayer life is to pick two phrases or truths from scripture and attach them to your breath pattern. As you inhale, internally say the 1st phrase. As you exhale, say the 2nd phrase.
INHALE: You lived as I live
EXHALE: so I can live as You lived
MEMORIZE: Take this week to memorize John 14:12 with your household. Write it on a sticky note to place on your car dashboard, your bathroom mirror, or wherever you will view it often.
John 14:12 “I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.”
WORSHIP: Listen to this song called Send Me by Jenn Johnson and Chris Quilala.
Talk about this acrostic spelling of Disciple:
- D– Devoted to Christ: A disciple doesn’t walk away from his brothers and sisters. He loves them no matter what.
- I– Involved: A disciple of Christ cares about other disciples. He or she gets involved in the good things that are happening around him.
- S-Spirit: The Holy Spirit lives in all disciples. He keeps us full of peace!
- C-Christ-centered: No matter what,Jesus is the center of everything a disciple does.
- I-Invites others to meet Jesus: A true disciple of Jesus invites others to meet Jesus.
- P-Prays for other disciples: That’s love, through and through!
- L-Loves at all times: Even when it is hard to do so, a disciple loves other disciples at all times. Love covers sins!
- E-Encourages other disciples: If you follow Jesus, you must be an encourager!
What is a disciple?
- A disciple is a LEARNER. “Biblically speaking, true learning only takes place when it changes the way we live. Just because you’ve been exposed to the truth doesn’t mean you’ve been changed by the truth.”
- A disciple is a FOLLOWER, one who follows Jesus Christ.
- A disciple is a REPRODUCER. Build your life into other people in such a way that they can take that spiritual foundation and build it into others.
- Pray about who to disciple, then grab your copy of The Four Priorities and get to it!
That’s it for Chapter 28!
Now…go! And make disciples!